Wednesday, January 7, 2009

and let the insanity continue

so, the travel started back up this week, it might be a different year, but same old craziness at the airports. tuesday, i gave blood at a blood drive at my parent's church, and then had all of 53 minutes to get to the airport get checked in, i got there with only 13 minutes to spare, talk about living on the edge, i even got nervous that i was going to miss my flight.

i boarded my plane to atlanta with no problems, well apparently there was some sort of delay, but i slept right through that, and then boarded my next flight to monroe, louisiana. i arrived in monroe, louisiana around 7:30pm all excited about the new 90210, all to remember that i am in the central time zone, and that by the time i would get to my hotel, it would be long over, as the prime time shows start at 7pm there, so stupid. so, i decided to go to cracker barrel - i love that place, i do not eat there very often, but decided since it is right beside of the hotel i stay at for this site, i would enjoy some good ole chicken -n-dumplings, yum. i get to my hotel, all to remember that this is the city, in which, the water feels like baby oil. may sound strange, yes, but it is true. apparently, a gentleman told me they have, "soft water." he described it, saying, "you'll feel like you haven't gotten the soap off of you, like you are greasy." well, he is pretty much right, that has got to be one of the worst feelings. i mean, when you are washing your hair, you feel like no matter how long you stand under the water, you still have soap in it - that to me, feels like you've defeated the purpose of washing your hair, you know?

this morning i head to my site to conduct a short SIV, mainly to train the site on a system we use - and the coordinator is enrolling a patient in our study. i am not supposed to see patients we enroll - and of course one of the machines, our study requires, is not working. i had to pull the machine out of the room where the patient was and try to fix it, it was a disaster - all to find out it was truly broken... the poor patient was stuck 4 times, her fingers are going to be so sore tomorrow.... finger sticks are no fun! then the coordinator went on with her day, and basically forgot about me, remember i needed to train her on a system - the whole purpose of my visit. she finally came back to the monitoring room, to eat lunch... what the heck?!? i had all of 30 minutes to train her, as i now had to leave for a flight to houston. what a crazy day.

so, i board my plane from monroe to houston to finally get to florence (stupid, yes) and this woman gets so mad at me. so, i'm sitting in the bulk head seat - which means no bags under the seat because you don't have a seat in front of you. so, i had to put my computer bag and purse in the overhead bins. well, this older lady (60+) had put her long trench coat in the bin above, but it was taking up the whole bin. i politely ask her if i could put my stuff up there as well, she said yes. well after i put my stuff, she said, "did you just cram your stuff on my coat," i said, "no, actually it has plenty of room. it won't be wrinkled." she then says, "i saw you pushing your purse back in there, and i won't have my coat smashed in there and wrinkled when we land, so just give it here, i'll keep it on my lap." talk about pissed, that indeed she was, and i could care less, because i can't have my stuff with me, it is a federal regulation. she was overreacting, to say the least. then i get told that i am not supposed to have my turkey club out when we take off, what the heck?!? i mean, you are totally allowed to have food on the plane, and i have never been told to put food up during takeoff, whatever, i got to eat after we got 10,000 feet in the air. i wanted to look at the flight attendant and say, "my turkey club doesn't have an on/off switch!"

now, i am sitting here in the charlotte airport, about to board my florence flight, tired as all get out, just wanting to get to a bed. i won't arrive in florence until 11:35pm, and then i have to get my rental car and drive to the hotel, fun times. such a long day. this will be my 4th visit of the week, and whew i already need another vacation., haha.

alright, have a great thursday everyone.

No comments: