Saturday, June 23, 2012

humbling experience:: moving home temporarily

this is even a hard blog to write, but i am choosing to focus on blessings and positives (trying to do a lot of that lately) instead of harping on the negative rather than focusing on what others may say by looking at my situation.  so here goes....

many people know that i bought my townhouse in charlotte at the ripe age of twenty five.  you could probably look back and find those posts ( i don't know how to link those), but i was so excited.  i mean, i thought buying a house was the next thing to do and nothing could stop me.  i did all the research, found the perfect floor plan, searched for a D R Horton community (loved them from the townhouse that Holly and i rented in raleigh), and new that the smart thing would be to live near the airport (at the time i traveled 80% of the time for my job)... so i was good, loved it.  my "sister in law" helped me finalize the paperwork and i closed on September 23, 2008.  i was so excited.  i wasn't going to let the fact that i wasn't married or whatever stop me from pursuing my dreams and moving on with my life, and having my very own home was so wonderful.  i loved decorating, getting furniture, and painting (well having my dad and brother do that).  my actual townhouse is perfect for me, and there isn't anything about it that i don't like (the building that is).

fast forward about two years, and the community started having a few break-ins and for anyone who knows me, you know this did not sit well with this girl.  after all, this is my number 1 fear in life.  the thought that someone could and wound break into my house at night scared me to death, it is like that paralyzing fear.  i have an alarm system (would have never lived someone by myself without one), but then i resorted to placing furniture against my bedroom door at night for added security and that helped, but may nights i lie in bed and nothing calms me down, as i hear things or have heard of another recent break in and my nerves are so shot, i just cannot sleep.

when i went to haiti last october, apparently two single women in my community were targeted, one was raped and one was stabbed (while attempted robberies occurred), so this just about sent this girl over the edge, but somehow God gave me the strength to stay a little longer.  i think a big reason i was able to stay was my amazing neighbor that God sent me.  vince is always there for me when i need something.  i have had to call him multiple times when someone has knocked on my door, rang my doorbell, etc... he always comes over checks things out, etc... i cannot thank him enough or praise God enough for putting him right next door to me.  he also fixes things for me, which is just an added bonus... we joke and say that it is his "honey do list."

the break ins have continued, actually ten to be exact since last october.  i live in constant fear.  even with an alarm and vince, many nights i have no quality of life, because i cannot sleep.  i pray and read verses, but the fear is all consuming.  about two weeks ago vince told me he is moving.  i won't bore you with all the details of why he is moving, but it is for a lot of different reasons, not so much because of the break ins and safety, but that did factor into it, but for me this was the push that i needed.  there is no way that i will feel safe or okay with staying here knowing that i do not have him next door to call if i need someone.  additionally, there were two more break ins about two weeks ago, and one of them was during the day.  i work from home, and i am always here....

so, i have come to the conclusion that i am OUT.  i cannot do this anymore.  i am leaving this house that i was so excited about.  i have contacted a property management group and they are going to rent it out.  as for me and what i am going to do... i think the smart thing for me to do is to take a couple months and move back home with my parents because it is would not be financially smart to move quickly into a new place in charlotte (i wish i could)... i need to make sure my place rents and that i get a good reliable renter in my place first.  i didn't think i would be almost 30 and moving back in with my parents, but as i said at the beginning, i am choosing to focus on the positive:

1) my parents have been more than welcoming and so understanding
2) my dad is amazing and is taking down my sister's room so that can be my office temporarily
3) they are even cleaning out the attic/bonus room so i won't have to get a storage unit
4) my friends in charlotte are being very welcoming and allowing me to stay when needed
5) my friends in lincolnton are excited and i am excited about quality time with them

my only negative comment, there is no starbucks in lincolnton, oh dear!

i know that God already knew this was going to happen, so i'll be praying for the following:

1) that whatever lesson he is trying to teach me that i will slow down and listen
2) that i will find a good renter or that the property management group will
3) that i will find the best place and area to live in october in charlotte
4) that i will still feel connected to my friends/community in charlotte over the next few months



No comments: