Wednesday, December 29, 2010

all my new foods.... my taste buds appreciate it

so, one of the items on my list of 28 things/resolutions for 2010 was to try a new food every month.  i tried really hard to stick to it and some times i got pictures to document it:)  there are a few foods that i had tried before, and hated, but in 2010 i decided that i loved them.  for a girl who grew up eating only chicken tenders, pizza, bologna sandwiches, french fries, cottage cheese, and maybe a few other things, you may be shocked at the items that are on my list, so enjoy:)

january - oops, i forgot (didn't start out to well)

february - feb. 1 - i tried chili, you are reading this correctly.  i didn't like hamburger meat growing up, and i also have issues with mixing foods, so for this girl, this was huge.  you should have heard the reaction from casey/kasey/em when i told them, haha, they had no idea what could be in store for 2010.  oh and you should probably know it was from wendy's, haha.  also, this month (had to make up for missing january) i tried casey's salsa which has green onions, peppers, corn, and black beans (i think).  it is sooooo good.  i haven't ever had green onions or peppers... so total for february equals 3!!!  casey has pics of this as well, i'll update tomorrow.




march - snap peas and other mixed veggies at california pizza kitchen.  emily and i went to cpk one night and i opted for the mixed veggies with my salmon.  i got snap peas, which i haven't ever had before.

april - kasey and i headed to cracker barrell and i tried fried okra.  i remember my grandmother would always make it for our family meals, but i never tried it, so i decided i should try it.  wouldn't say that it is something i'll be adding to my diet, but it was bad.

may - oh this is a good one.  so i loathe green beans.  seriously one of the worst foods ever, but i thought what about green bean casserole, would that help me eat green beans?  my friend kasey is one of the best cooks i know.  she enjoys cooking and she can just whip something up without a recipe.  i greatly appreciate it, as cooking isn't really my thing, so i eat a lot of great foods because of her.... so one weekend we had a staycation at her house and after a day at the pool, she baked some chicken and made green bean casserole.  you will see my genuine reaction, it wasn't bad, actually the velveta and fried onion straws helped tremendously, but alas, green beans are still not my favorite, haha.   ( i went back and got seconds, hehe) enjoy the pics:






june -potato salad... i tried my aunt paula's and kaseys.  not bad.  not very adventurous, but hey some people wouldn't say that chili was, hehe.

july - this is a huge month/milestone for me.  i wanted to try sushi.  i had tried it once before with my friends in college and it literally made me gag.  so, i was determined to find some sushi that i liked.  so, we headed out for lica's bachelorette party to get sushi and kasey helped me find some options that i liked... all the girls were so supportive and excited for me.  i absolutely loved the ones i had.  i tried a tempura smoked salmon roll, a japanese bagel shrimp roll, a california roll, and an asparagus roll.  seriously, loved all of these.  i also tried lobster on michele's bachelorette cruise.  after all, food is all you can eat, so i figured, why not... i liked it:)




august - we headed out for another bachelorette party, this time for christine:)  so i decided to try another food, why not tilapia, i love salmon, and i thought, let's switch it up.  it was almond crusted, and oh so delicous.  casey has the pic of this, so i'll update this tomorrow.



september - i can't think of what i tried this month:(  if i think of it or find where my list is, i'll update tomorrow.

october - corn chowder soup, i think that is what it was called.  another one of kasey's meals.  (if you aren't seeing a theme... kasey contributed to a lot of my new foods because she cooked a lot of them).

november - get ready for this one... i haven't ever tried dressing at thanksgiving.  so i decided to give this a whirl, everyone raves about it, so why not.  when i was little, my mother and grandmother would bring french fries to all of our holiday meals and i would eat pinto beans, french fries and cornbread... i was completely spoiled, they probably should have let me starve and i would have learned to eat other things.  also, i tried red velvet cake and loved it.  who knew i had been missing out on such a treat.

december - eggnog, i tried my friend bayley's a few years back, but it was so bad, it can't be counted, so i tried some at our christmas get together in charlotte a few days ago, and it isn't bad.  sorry bay:)  i also tried a cranberry apple crisp of katie's at our thanksmas get together in raleigh and it was pretty good:)   i haven't ever had cranberry sauce, so i thought that i would try the crandberry apple crisp instead, hehe. 



other foods that i have added to my diet, that i absolutely love in 2010:  pineapple, avocado, i like pepperoni and sausage on my pizza (i am laughing at myself - i used to just eat cheese), i love fruit smoothies, and soups.

i hope this has provided you lots of entertainment.  don't worry i still have issues with mixing foods, but i am working on it.  i still can't stand for my food to touch, but i am a work in progress.  so glad God made me this way, so i can provide humor to all of my family and friends.

my list for 2011, 29 things coming soon:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kels, I don't have too many quirks but I do love to comment and give my opinions so...you really missed out on Mom's okra, no one could duplicate it but Rog's fresh version (since you now know what it looks like raw) is pretty darn good! Soul on Central has some fantastic sushi options that you should def try, maybe we can meet there some night! Some of the other things are shocking and hilarious, thank you for sharing! Love you, Jenn