Monday, August 19, 2013

asking for accountability/help:: weight loss goal

so, i have posted on my blog before my struggles with eating healthy, typically the working out part isn't my challenge, but eating healthy is.  i am 30 years old and i turn 31 in december, so i have a goal to lose 20 pounds by my 31st birthday.  i know i can do this and isn't so much about the number as it is, just feeling better about myself, being tone, and making healthier choices.  so, to the few people who read my blog, i am asking for any advice, suggestions, ideas, tricks that have helped you...

1. eating healthy is my biggest struggle... i love carbs, don't really like to cook, but i am trying to budget so i can buy a new car, so i will cook to budget better.  i like a lot of healthy foods, but i really like some unhealthy ones (chips and guacamole, french fries, cheese, bagels with cream cheese, really just all carbs, garden salsa sun chips, chocolate chip cookies to name a few).  i really like all fruits, zucchini, squash, corn, potatoes, asparagus, and cucumbers (occasionally).  i absolutely hate green beans, greens, mushrooms, and peppers.  all others that are listed, i can probably stomach or eat, but they aren't my favorite.

2. working out... i am not a runner, and my feet constantly give me trouble, i have been told i have morton's neuroma, but i am going to get a second opinion next week, so maybe he will give me some solution.  i love classes at the gym, but need to know if the schedule or classes i am doing are a good mix.

3. clean eating, i have been thinking about doing clean eating, but wondering if i am capable of doing it.  is that too drastic and will i crash and burn?  i have tried weight watchers before and had great success, but i typically lose interest about week six or seven.  do food journals help anyone?

4. the most definite thing i will do is cut out soft drinks all together, no more coke for this girl.  also, very limited starbucks white chocolate mochas.  when it starts getting cool again, i can get my french vanilla americano which is only 40 calories, woot.  empty calories from drinks is stupid.

overall, i know i need to love the body God has given me, but sometimes that is just hard.  i so desperately want to love this body, but i want it to be more toned, more slim, and i want my clothes to fit better. 

3 comments:

Candice Craig said...

I have no suggestions on eating healthy so can't help there but can pray. I thought you were off Coke years ago? I guess you picked em back up? Good luck. P.S. I need to call soon so we can catch up!

Kelsey said...

Thanks Candice, I really appreciate the prayers. I did stop for nearly two years, and I slowly started drinking it again. That stuff is like crack, ha. I CAN DO this. Yes, let's catch up soon.

Anonymous said...

Kelsey, I am so sorry I kept offering you cupcake and drinks and telling you how here I am 45 having never reached my goal I set when I was 25! I had not read your blog before I saw you on the 22nd and I feel really bad. I am such a bad influence! I think it's brave to put out there that you want to eat healthy and be accountable, I wish I was brave enough. Truth is, accountability scares me because I have failed so often. I want to offer you encouragement and I will be praying for your success. Pinterest is awesome for finding great recipes...type in what you like (ingredients) and I guarantee you will find a recipe that incorporates all the things you enjoy. (Once at home I had a rotisserie chicken and some sweet potatoes...found a great recipe for Creamy Sweet Potatoe and Chicken soup!) I hear that having a "cheat day" once a week helps many to stay on track when they know they can look forward to a day to enjoy their not-so-healthy favorites without guilt. (My problem is that I have reversed that...I have one healthy day each week, all the other are cheats...haha) The people that I do know who do clean eating, etc. claim things like pain in the body tends to dissipate and even disappear when they cut out processed stuff and carbs. If cooking is not your favorite thing to do, try to find some recipes you enjoy and make and freeze a bunch of things, pland a day of preparation. I'm a fairly decent cook myself and I also love to cook so if you ever want to get together and make some items to freeze, I'm game! The most important thing is having things accessible and prepared...otherwise it's too easy to hit the drive thru for those fries! I know what you mean about loving your body the way it is (and btw, I think you look really great, but I know it's all relative to how YOU feel about YOU), but there is nothing wrong for always striving to do better and feel better. I am still fighting that battle, and what I can tell you, as someone who is 15 years your senior, DO IT NOW. I haven't given up on myself (goal weight by age 50? lol), but I know things like my metabolism and just life in general make it harder as you get older. Plus, I know one day when you meet the man who will be your husband, you don't want to worry about losing weight for your wedding dress...take care of those things NOW, and then instead of worrying about weight and diets, you will already just be where you want to be and can just enjoy preparing for that wonderful day. Don't make the mistakes I made. I think my biggest downfall was (and is) always saying "Start tomorrow..." but "tomorrow" never came. Invest in yourself and do the hard stuff (eating your veggies!), it always eventually gets easier...you are a beautiful, smart and lovely person who deserves to feel about herself the way others see you. You can do it!! :)

Linda R.