Sunday, October 28, 2012

respect during an election season

i have tried really hard to keep quiet during this election year, more than anything... i want to respect every one's right to vote and their opinions.  the past few days, i have been made to feel "stupid" or ignorant, maybe not knowingly, but i am pretty sure my friends know where i stand.  so, this is my outlet, and i feel like my voice/opinion needs to be heard.

first and foremost, i am a christian and my own convictions/beliefs (just mine, not speaking for every believer here) do typically align with more conservative values.  i'll go ahead and get the two big ones out on the table. 

abortion in my book is killing an innocent baby.  i personally believe that at the point of conception, a fetus is a human life.  yes, there are horrible circumstances in which many people think abortion is necessary, but i do not feel this way. you may think this is asinine, insane, ludicrous, crazy, whatever, but this is my personal belief.  i believe that God has specifically thought of each and every person, and i don't think it is our decision to terminate/kill a baby that our God/creator thought of... every little detail (from that baby's hair color, if they will be talkative or not, if they will be short or tall, etc.  i'll reference the bible in case you want to know where this thought/belief/reference comes from...

"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well." (Psalm 139:13-14)

"Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:4-5).


i know and have heard many of my own friends talk about how crazy it is that as a woman that i would let politicians make decisions for me about my body, well to that i say, i put my faith and trust in God and i pray that the leaders of our country will do that as well.  i know many of you may not agree with me, and that is okay.  that is why we live in a country where we are all entitled to our opinion and the beauty of a democracy.

same sex marriage - i am not going to spend a long time on this one.  the Bible is pretty clear here, so i do not agree with this.  do i dislike people who are homosexuals, of course not.  the Bible is also very clear that we should love one another.  i have family that i dearly love that are in same sex relationships, while she and i both know what the Bible says, that doesn't mean that i treat her differently, nor do I love her any less.  i am not judging anyone, for me, and my beliefs, i am going to vote for someone who has the same beliefs as me.
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind, it is abomination. Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things  (Leviticus 18:22, 24)

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.  (1 John 4:7-8 ESV)
so, the other issues... i will not say that i 100% agree with all issues, but what i will say is this... our deficit is out of control, we have got to stop spending.  we all know that.  i don't agree with giving as many handouts as we have been, it has to stop somewhere and people need to start working, for example, people on welfare need to work.  i have read about this and both candidates agree that they should.  as for the economy in general, we definitely need change/rebuilding... 

i was talking to my dad the other day, and he was telling me about a friend of the family who used to run two electronic/appliance stores and due to the recession/failing economy one of them closed, so now after 25 years or more, he now runs the smaller store that is barely surviving, but only after driving a school bus in the morning, running this store during the day, driving the bus in the afternoon, and has another job, i believe cleaning after all of that, just to make ends meet. 

my parents, work harder than they ever have, to make ends meet, and they have never asked for help.  my dad, at almost 60 years old, works (self-employed) as a painter/pressure washer/cabinet stainer in his business which at times may require 12-14 days and then works part time at the sheriff's department as a janitor/maintenance, to supplement when business is slow and to make ends meet.  my mom has worked as an insurance agent for nearly 15 years.  they work so hard, but at the same time, the economy isn't thriving, so times are tough. 

i want someone in office that can create change and create jobs and a thriving economy and i believe that is romney/ryan.  i've read his five point plan, and i am especially like with point 4 and point 5. 

Part four is to cut the deficit, reducing the size of government and getting the national debt under control so that America remains a place where businesses want to open up shop and hire. 

Finally, part five of Mitt’s plan is to champion small business. Small businesses are the engine of job creation in this country, but they will struggle to succeed if taxes and regulations are too burdensome or if a government in Washington does its best to stifle them. Mitt will pursue comprehensive tax reform that lowers tax rates for all Americans, and he will cut back on the red tape that drives up costs and discourages hiring.

with all of this, i'll close by saying, i do not think that my friends who are voting for obama are wrong or stupid, that is your right, and i am grateful that we live in a country where we are entitled to vote and voice our opinion.  regardless of who wins on nov. 6th, i know that i will be praying for the leaders of our country, i cannot imagine the stress that is riding on our the president/vice president's shoulders.  i do not have to always agree/support the decisions made by him, but i can pray.  so, all i ask is that you not make rude, disrespectful comments about who i am voting for, and i will continue to do the same.  our country as a whole will be making that decision on nov. 6th.  even though we may have a difference in opinion that doesn't mean that i don't still love/like you, it just means we don't see eye to eye on this and that is okay.  please don't think it is just because i am "stupid" or "ignorant."  i have done my research, and this is just my opinion.

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. (1 Timothy 2: 1-2)

and we that, i'm back to not saying anything, just needed to say to get that off of my chest.

exercise your right for your voice to be heard and go VOTE:)

1 comment:

Candice Craig said...

I totally agree with all of the above & love how you reference the Word! Can't beat what the Lord of the Universe says!