Sunday, June 12, 2011

the results of the spending challenge

so a week of not spending any money, what did i learn? several things:

1) that i have self control and that i did it
2) contrary to my belief, i can eat at home (every meal, except the meal i paid for kathryn and gilbert's graduation - monday night)
3) that all of these things on earth are just that, material possessions that i do not need; however, i did not lose my ability to spend, i went to target tonight and oh my, haha
4) God totally provides little surprises... i had a meeting with one of the pastors at my church about leading a lifegroup and he bought me a coffee, i was totally having withdrawls from no caffeine, haha. also, my mother purchased lunch for me yesterday so i wouldn't break the rules:)

kasey did a great job too, she only had to buy stella (her cat) treats during the week as she didn't feel the need to torture her cat:) I did have to go to target and get my two prescriptions, as i didn't have time on sunday to go by and get them and i ran out on wednesday. the good news is, i didn't have to fill up my gas tank this week, so i used gas sparingly; i told kase and em today that not spending money kind of changes your social life too.

all in all, it was a great challenge that made me evaluate how i eat out way too much, buy starbucks way too much, and just spend when i want, i need to make smarter, wiser choices (this will start post my target trip today), hehe.

if you feel like challenging yourself for a week to see if you can do it, i encourage you too.

kasey even sent along some bible verses throughout the week that she felt spoke to her; i'll share them with you.

Jeremiah 10:23-24
23 Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches,24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord."

1 Timothy 6:608
6 Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment,7 for we brought nothing into the world, andt we cannot take anything out of the world.8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

"Which commandment is the most important of all?"29 Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'31 The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." 12:30-31

No comments: