Wednesday, March 25, 2009

huey p bridge, construction worker has a heart attack, and what?

so, i'm sorry i have been kind of slack lately on my blog entries... i'll do better, for the few of you that actually read about my travel adventures.

last week i was in new orleans for a site visit, i was on my way back to the airport, and i was a little pushed for time. i entered this old, old bridge (the huey p) and was traveling along. (sidenote: the bridge is so not nice, it is shakey and old, and no lanes for emergency vehicles.) you are probably thinking, why would i point out the issue about emergency vehicles... and the fun begins. a lady two cars in front of me wrecks. we all slam on brakes.... the lady directly in front of me gets out to help, and i think... well, i can either sit here and think about how i am going to miss my flight or i can get out and help. i see the lady who has wrecked her car flipping out and getting her baby out of the car. anyone who knows me, knows that as soon as i saw the baby, i thought... i have to get out and help. so, i called us air to tell them that i was going to miss my flight. they informed me that my flight had been delayed by two hours... for once, i told the representative, that was "great news." she laughed. we hung up, and i got out of the rental car to help the lady and young baby.

i walked up to the van (the lady who was directly in front of me, had let the lady who wrecked her car sit in the van along with her baby (mia was her name)) - so i just wanted to try and talk to her and calm her down. i told her about how i wasn't even going to miss my flight that it had been delayed, she laughed. then she kept looking back at the miles of backed up traffic, i told her not to stress, that they had all done something before...been in an accident or caused one, so they could wait. then they needed pictures of the vehicles, so they asked me to go take the pictures, i was happy to do so. once again, anyone who knows me, knows that this was great for me, i love taking pictures, i took about 10, when they probably only need two or three, haha. one thing is for sure, the insurance adjuster/company has plenty of pictures along with the police. then i went back to the van, and we all continued to talk. i went over to little, precious mia... she was sleeping for a little, then i talked to her and continued to try and help calm the mom. it helped me not stress about the fact that we were indeed stuck on a bridge.

the police finally arrived. once the police arrived (by reversing up the other side of the bridge), he informed us that the reason it took so long is because a construction worker on part 2 of the bridge (we were all headed) had a heart attack. so, we not going anywhere, anyway. what are the chances? i thought i am going to be stuck on this bridge FOREVER. after they towed the two vehicles, they were totaled... a truck had to bring sand/dirt to put over the oil that had spilled on the bridge... another 15 minutes. yikes.

i finally arrived at the airport in just enough time to make it home on the original flight i was scheduled for... what a day!

No comments: